Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Time to Treat Ourselves

Ladies, ladies, ladies, it's time to treat ourselves. Who's on board with me? Can I get an amen?



I know I'm not telling you anything new....we women are strong, tired, overworked (at home or outside home), caregivers, nurses, teachers, veterinarians, friends, daughters, sisters, wives, moms, basically Superwomen without the cape.

So, now it's time to get down to the business of treating ourselves. What is that? What does it look like? What does it sound like? Smell like? How will we have time?

I ask you, how can we not have time for this?

Here's the interesting part, what's a treat for you, might not be a treat for me, and vice versa. Grab a pen and paper, close your eyes (in a minute after reading the next sentence)....write down how you can treat yourself.....what comes to mind????


Did you write anything down? If so, good girl, now go do those things. Go. Do it. Today, tomorrow, the day after, the day after that, and so on, you get it.

If you didn't write anything down at all. Don't fret. I suspect that after taking care of everyone in our homes and the world in general around us, maybe some of us aren't sure what a treat even looks like. I've spent some time thinking about this. Let me share some of my treats and perhaps one or two of my treats, will be a treat for you. Or perhaps none of my treats are anything you'd enjoy, no problem, maybe you'll get an idea.

Megan's Treats

1. Take a decadent warm bath with lots of salts, bubbles, gels....etc....not because I'm dirty but JUST BECAUSE. This is one of my absolute favorite treats and I can do it about everywhere. Every single night. Night after night. At home is my favorite place because I have all of my good yummy bath stuff there. But even when I'm away on consulting gigs if I'm lucky and get a hotel room with a bath and not just a shower, I will indulge in this treat. Now, I get it. I know some of you HATE baths. I've heard some of you ponder why in the world people would want to sit in their own filth. Some of you take the baths out of your perfectly good bathrooms and add extra large awesome showers. I know this one is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Is it yours? Is it giving you an idea of a different treat?



2. Shopping alone. I have two kids. Enough said. You get it right sisters. Somehow when those rascals are with me, there's more sugary food products at the conclusion of said shopping trip. How does that happen? I know, I know, I hear you. I should be strong and not cave in but.....

3. Walk outside. Preferably around a lake or along a beach or maybe through the woods. Sometimes beggars can't be choosers and the good ole' neighborhood suffices or the treadmill at home or in the hotel I'm staying in. This is one of those treats where initially I may not actually want to do this treat but once I do I always feel so much better. Stress reducer. Especially if I have my iphone cued up with my favorite tunes. Or perhaps it's time for a gratitude walk where I push myself to think of all of the reasons I'm blessed and what I'm grateful for.



4. Reading. I get it again. This one might not be your thing either. I see you sitting on the airplane next to me. You stare out the window, you browse through the emergency landing pamphlet for a few minutes, then you fall asleep with your neck bobbing up and down waking you up. I watch you and I try so hard not to be judgmental as I think, "Where is your book? What about a magazine? Did you forget it at home? I might have an extra book for you if you want it. They have a bookstore at the airport. Why weren't you prepared?" I admit it, I don't get it. I L-O-V-E to read. If there is a perk to traveling (I'm not really sold on that concept) it IS the gift of uninterrupted time to read read read, gloriously read maybe half of a book or more during a trip. What a treat! Don't get me started on the lure of glossy beautiful decorating magazines or trashy gossip magazines where at this point in life I don't know who half the people are.



5. Music. I bet I'm going to get some takers on this one. Who doesn't love music? Am I right? C'mon tell me I'm right. I know I'll lose you with what kinds of music I like but heck, who cares. All that matters is that the listener appreciates the music and loves it, right? I'm listening to some music now. (Thanks to my colleague TJ- he recommended the Broadway musical soundtrack of Aladdin....so much more amazing that the Disney movie. I think the Broadway musical soundtrack of Hamilton is going to be my next iTunes purchase. I get it. I'm losing many of you with my particular musical taste and that's ok.) I bet 99% of us feel like we can treat ourselves with a few minutes of listening to some groovin' music (or whatever type you like).



6. DYI Decorating. This one is perhaps one of my favorites though they are all awesome. This past Monday we were 'iced' in...no school, no going anywhere, ICE-gate over here for a day. I challenged myself to use crafts, materials from home and my good friend Pinterest (what in the world did I do before Pinterest?????) and come up with some new Easter decorations. My girl helped me. We came up with three little sweet projects that cost us no mula. I'll share soon. I promise.

Here's a tip for you: When you're enjoying your treat, no guilt allowed. Truly embrace your treat. You deserve it. Think of how much more rested, more positive, more energetic you'll feel when you return to your real life and your people.

Disclaimer: I'm currently on Weight Watchers just like my bud Oprah (I like bread too girl!) and challenging myself to 'move' more (which takes many different forms including walk/dance/clapping on my treadmill to my favorite Broadway musical soundtracks which no one wants to see or probably even envision...it's not pretty people....sorry if I put the thought into your head now....take it out...erase it...do it now!) so none of my treats will include food. Perhaps some of you can have food treats on your list and have it be a healthy thing for you to indulge in...not me...not now. Maybe another time. I can't go there now.

Let's also challenge ourselves to suggest and even gently persuade our men to treat themselves too. Wouldn't the world be a better, kinder, more lovely place if we all loved ourselves a little more, treated ourselves a little more often and in turn loved others.

So, what do you say? Let's start a new Treat Ourselves Revolution. Try to find a way to treat yourself every day for the next week. What are you already looking forward to?

Please share with me. I can't wait to hear what your treats are. I'd love to add to my treat repertoire!
Go on and treat yourself friends.
Megan
meganlawbrewer@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment