Sunday, February 28, 2016

Double Digit Girl's Room

Hi friends,
Happy weekend! I'm so happy to be home this weekend after spending the week away with amazing educators in the South. Did you know that there is a Chick Fil A restaurant in the South where you sit down and they serve you? I even heard there are additional items on the menu other than what I am aware of. Amazing, huh? Did you know this?

Thanks for joining me today. Today I wanted to share with you my daughter's room make over. When we moved into our current home almost 5 years ago (April 2011) my daughter's room was already decorated with purple princess border and purple sponge painting which honestly worked for her for a while.

My husband and I secretly dreamed up a room make over for her and executed our plan over a weekend when she was away visiting her grandparents. We were so excited to reveal her newly made over room to her when she got home. Imagine our disappointment when we revealed her room to her and though she was appreciative, she did share that our vision for her room was NOT her vision. Lesson learned: when making over a child's room, especially a child who has specific fashion, style, and design opinions, LET SAID CHILD HAVE SOME SAY.

Or you will be making over said child's room again someday soon.

Here was the secret make over my husband and I executed:



Fast forward to today. Said child is almost 10 years old. DOUBLE DIGITS over here. How did that happen? We told her that for her 10th birthday we would make over her room on a budget of course. She and I have been dreaming of her make over for months. I secretly wanted to make sure she didn't change her mind over time which honestly she hasn't. I am envisioning that this newly designed room takes her through her teenaged years.

Here's my Double Digit Girl's Room Plan:

1. Change paint color from the soft pink my husband and I choose to blue that she picked (you can see the blue reflected on her updated dresser and the B on the wall which will be covered up today with blue paint):



2. Use gold spray paint to cover up some old objects and add some gold accessories to the room:



We used this amazing gold spray paint. I was so impressed with the coverage:



3. We have a few newly purchased items (gold dot wall decals, 3 fun accent pillows, and new gold dot sheets) that we will add to the room this week.

We are still on the hunt for a narrow desk and chair to add to her room. We saw one we loved at Home Goods months ago but it's gone now.

We also plan to take down the purple Target chandelier in the room and replace with something more neutral and fun. This might take the form of a trip to Ikea! Yeah!

Stop back by again real soon and I'll share some updates on the progress......

Happy decorating & living,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment